Thursday, October 15, 2009


How do you start a blog? I wondered .... so I thought .... I will post my first two writings. It was 1966 and I was 8 years old. It was a weekend. I remember this because I was staying at my grandpa and grandma's and that's what I did on weekends, an overnight stay.

I would wake up on Sunday mornings and watch the 6:00am replay of the Notre Dame football game that had been played the day before. I'd get up before my grandpa and sit in "his" chair to watch the game. If he did get up early ... I'd sit in the chair next to him. It was a big square scratchy feeling chair. I liked his better.

I loved Notre Dame football. Probably because they were called the "Irish". My gramps was Irish, my Mom was Irish and so I supposed I must Irish, too. We were the O'Managans from County Kerry which was changed to Mangan when my great great grandfather landed in Canada during the potato famine. But really, it was the gold helmets. I loved those gold helmets.

Where was I? Oh, the living room. My grandma had set up an old typewriter on a card table and I was free to type whatever I wanted. All I needed was some paper to type on. Now, my grandma owned and operated the first telephone answering service in town. Because the answering service was in their house, I had access to certain doctors, lawyers, etc. letterhead notepads. That first Sunday I chose Dr. Ralph J. Bertolin M.D. I knew Dr. Bertolin. He even made a house call late at night once when I was sick. How cool is that ... an actual house call like Little House On The Prairie style - little black bag and all! So on this letterhead, below his name and address it says ... "Instructions". When I saw this I assumed it was meant for instructions on what to take to feel better. This is what I wrote:
Ralph J. Bertolin M.D.
The Memorial Clinic
529 West Fourth Avenue
Olympia, Washington
Infants, Children and Teenagers

- INSTRUCTIONS -

Cut off right leg then left leg
Cut off right arm then left arm
Chop off nose, then cut off both
ears. Take out eye balls, when
done disect eye balls.Take out
liver and eat it.Cut off toes.
Take out ribs and grate them.
Then put them in soup with toes
and liver. Then eat for lunch.
RALPH J. BERTOLIN, M.D.

My second writing surprised even me. Yes, I've shown it to my therapist ....


TO WHOM THUS MAY CONSERN

WHEN I WAS BORN I WAS ONLY 1 IN. LONG. ALTHOUGH MY HEAD WAS 6 FT. IN DIAMETER. I HAD A VERY BIG PROBLEM. SO MY MOTHER DISOWNED ME FOR THE TIME BEING. TO BRING YOU UP TO DATE I LIVE IN A PUP TENT, FOR THE TIME BEING. I AM STUDYING TO BE A LUMBERJACK AT LUMBERJACK UNIVERSITY IN LUMBERJACK WASHINGTON. SOME DAY I NOW I WELL BE PRESIDENT OF AMERICA. THE ONLY PERSON I KNOW IS MY CAT, KITTY. SHE IS A VERY INTELEGENT CAT SHE ALREADY KNOWS HOW TO WALK AT THE AGE OF 277, which is very good FOR A CAT. THIS BRINGS ME TO THE CONCLUSION OF THE STORY OF MY LIFE. MY LIFE STINKS.


THE
END

So this is where I begin my blog. Hopefully, my creativity can and will ... still run a muck.





2 comments:

Pam Corwin, Business of Crafts said...

Tami - I LOVE this blog. The doctor's instructions had me hysterical! You have always been creative and and a thinker. I will be following your blog closely.Thanks so much for starting it!

Unknown said...

Wow! I now know someone who blogs and blogs well. Good writing from one lassy to another.
Susan Colleen Dikes Canto